Thursday, October 6, 2016

Cyanotype and Cliche Verre Project


The picture above is a scan of the house I grew up in. It's this really old colonial house with four floors. It is yellow with a green trim and is on a dead end street. All of the kids on my street were my age so that was nice to get to grow up with them and go to the same schools. On the other side of my house was the University of Vermont campus. I loved this house and miss it a lot. So many good and bad memories come with this house. I don't love here anymore, we moved about four or five years ago but I hope one day to go back. It is about a thirty minute drive from where I love now.

 This is a scan above sums up my adoption. At the top of the of the scan is a copy of the original papers of my adoption. I think it is really cool becasue its all written in Korean and my actual birth mother signed it along with one of her friends as a witness. My birth father didn't sign it becasue he left my birth mother when he found out she got pregnant, or so that's what I heard. At the bottom right hand corner of the scan is a picture of me that the adoption agency sent to my adoptive parents. Then to the left of the page is the American flag and a sticker of what the South Korean flag.

This is one of my Cliche Verre's. It is actually the first one I made. It is just a bunch of doodles drawn with sharpie.

This Cliche Verre is also drawn with sharpie. The sharpie on the petals was smudged with a tissue.

I'd have to say I love this Cliche Verre becasue one, I love elephants, and two I think the mark makings turned out really cool. I had to go over the line a bunch of times to fill in those white spaces. I think the black background is nice with the white of the elephant. It really stands out. It almost has this vibe that sends chills down your spine.

This is a tree I made out of swirls. This is actually two Cliche Verre's put together. The tree on the bottom (front) and the other one, which is made out of tape on the top (behind). I remember someone in class saying that it looks like a Christmas tree and it kind of does becasue at some parts of the branches it looks like light bulbs.

In this Cyanotype, my favorite part is the clouds and how they are reflected off of the surface of the water. This is a photo of Lake Champlain in Burlington, Vermont (that's where I live) and this is the view from the waterfront, the docks to be exact. The waterfront is ten minutes from my house but I can walk to the lake which is only two minutes from my house.

In the Cyanotype above is one of my Scanner As Camera photos. At the bottom of the picture is the end of my lace shirt. At the top is a bunch of plants and leafs. I could have pulled out a little more detail in the top section but if I did that I would loose the contrast in the shirt.

This Cyanotype was taken this past summer. This would have had to have been one of my biggest accomplishments in life. I went on this big hike with my friends. This is a mountain called Camel's Hump in Huntington, Vermont. It is a little over 4,000 feet in elevation. I lost some detail at the bottom but if I tried to change it more I would have lost some detail at the top. I would have liked to fix that bottom left corner so the white is covered.

I also took this photo this past summer. This is at Old Orchard Beach, Maine. I love how the clouds look, they remind me of waves. I also love the reflection of the wooden posts that hold up the pier. 

I had a lot of trouble with this Scanner As Camera image because it wasn't coming out in a dark blue. It was this really light light blue and the image was almost white. So I increased the exposure time. So about ten test strips later, at eight minutes it turned this darker blue.

And don't even get me started on this one. This Scanner As Camera took me about ten tries, too. This is at ten minutes. This negative must have been thin but I used the Pictorico negatives. I tried eight minutes before this one and everything within the frame was white. No detail, it was just mostly white and the blue was this really light blue.
 
Here is my elephant again, too but just in a Cyanotype. I like this in the Cyanotype version becasue the blue that fills in those white marks but still leaves the elephant white. The elephant didn't fit on the page so I had to crop it. To be honest I like it cropped like this becasue it makes the elephant look as if it were coming at you or gonna come out of the page.



I had fun with this project especially becasue my favorite color is blue. It was really frustrating becasue it takes so much time to do two prints let alone five to seven. It was also frustrating becasue there is only one light table and it gets really claustrophobic when there is three people trying to expose there paper. Maybe if there were two light tables things would move faster, but I know things cost money. I think things would also move faster, too if there was a dial not just for sixty seconds but one that could be set for more than sixty seconds. Other than that I had fun with this project. I learned a lot, too. For example, when coating paper, coat and expose the paper on the same day or a day after you coat it but not a week after. If I had more time with this project I would have perfected some of my images a little more.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Project: Women As Mythmakers

  For my final project, I’ve decided to expand my persona project and turn it into a Zoetrope (is a 19th-century cylind...